Html/Javascript widget

Sunday 10 February 2013

Akumajou Special -Boku Dracula Kun

Or simply put, Kid Dracula. I remember the local rent store had a cartridge box for this game that read Castlevania Junior and it had a rendition of the title character point his indicator finger at an assailing bat, shooting a small fire ball at the flying mammal, in a setting that didn't befit the true cheerful tone of the game. Actually, it was much darker, much like a real Castlevania game,one of those with which everyone is well acquainted with Simon Belmont battling his way through Dracula's Castle to put an end to the dark lord's plans of putting to action some scheme that would allow all evil to sweep over the Earth and plunge it into ages of darkness and despair. But the main setting of this particular game is something else entirely. The game's old age might put some of the younger folk off, but those who appreciate neat games centered around a young vampire child dealing with the trouble of taming a horde of envious creatures might find happiness in the undertaking.

I played this when I was about 8. This means it was sometime back in 1992/1993. And a bonzer lot the I found the game, it wasn't exactly what cracked out to be, but in the long run I was nonetheless pleased with the experience and proceeded to play the game many times over. All around the central room of my callow mind were alleys,all carpeted with the guise of a wide, yet agreeable to charter world, all leading to my always playing the game with the sort of delight as the first time I had the chance. The novelty value thsi game holds to me hasn't ever faded, even to this day.

Kid Dracula on top of his castle, eyes turned to the mysteries concealed by the guile of night.
Kid Dracula remains watches intently the dormant moon, suspecting it might wake soon and start acting up.
From that day over the next months I played that game with a peerless allure that was only matched 2 or 3 times later on. Whenever I played Akumajou Special- Boku Dracula Kun (or Castlevania Junior as I knew it back then) I was treating myself to moments that were endlessly enthralling. Many other memories came and went, but the thrill provided by this particular game lingered on in my mind with such a puissance that it was sad when I stop playing that. Years went by, 1995,1996,1997. A wealthy assortment of new games caught us by storm and it was unavoidable giving in to the fun they packed. But none of them triggered the same feel as Kid Dracula had. It wasn't until 2008, through nestopia, that I managed to at last play it again. My adult then vying for other objects also worthy my time and attention, I still found time to play that game again and again rejoiced it all the same, as when I was 8. It was as though I was that age agian. Inded, the emotion remains and its same effect arises whenever I play it. Reaching out between the slats of the snare that a current grown-up life puts you through, I make to play this again whenever the opportunity makes itself present.

But what's the deal with Kid Dracula? ALthough this game means a lot to my history as a Nintendo PLayer, it's only just a game with amazing graphics and, cool sprites, fine songs and thoroughly entertaining. It's colourful as hell and the song fits nicely with everything else. The enemies are all cute versions from Castlevania games so expect to find the age-old evil armours (only this time they look less evil), Frankenstein monsters, mummies, wraiths, zombies, young witches with that guileless look on their face when they fly over, dropping some sort of projectile that deals damage 1. The game in total has 9 stages and it can completed well under 1 hour, although I hardly beat the game this quickly as appreciating it is also part of the reason why I come back to it. 



Screenshots:










Boku Dracula Kun sets forth, joyful and free, on a million-mile journey to reclaim his throne as rightful heir to the kingdom of mosnters, by the fiercest, least trodden way he can find, never mind some engineered spikes designed to descend on anyone unfortunate enough to not cross fast enough the path beaneath them.


No comments:

Post a Comment